Tuesday 18 November 2014

I wrote a poem...

I don't know if this is really lame, but I wrote this a while ago and I kinda like it. It's a poem... see what you think.


The ashes have burned,
The last documents read.
Ready meals lovingly cooked by those you hardly knew,

Pile 
Up.

You’ve dialed and heard my answerphone 
A hundred times.
Smelt the last few scraps of my scent in what’s now just your bed
Broken a glass and screamed.
The neighbours came to check you were ‘doing okay.’
And that’s just today.

Back to work,
A hundred names on cards in your wallet.
Therapists. Shrinks.

You have dreams ahead of you,
A new girl. Not me,
But special.
She smells wonderful,
White rose and lime.
She can cook better than I could.

Then,
You’ll have chocolate milk,
Red kite on the end of little girl’s fingers.
Hand prints in clay and school plays.

This is how it should be.

But it’s today.
So today, weep to your hearts content,
Think about what I whispered under the sheets.
Laugh with my friends.
Tell mum and dad that I still have their cake tin.
Say I’m very sorry,
I’ll leave it to them in my will.

Today is a celebration, glass half full.
I could only give half, but you filled mine to the brim.

Today, the sun shines,
The birds continue to sing.
The traffic flows.
I am a constant past,
Just like you all have an inevitable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment