Friday 7 November 2014

Interiors again...

 When I went travelling I bought a Fuji Instax polaroid camera to take with me. I came up with the aim to take one good photo for each country I visited, and then I could compile them and make some sort of memoir. It's the first time I'd ever worked with film, and having James with me he was constantly wincing as I let full daylight into the back or dropped it in the ocean.

 Eventually I've managed to rust the rollers, meaning every photo I took at the end of my journey has nice blank lines through the middle. I think it gives a nice aged look to my trip. It did become a bit of a pain by the end: when I'd press the button at the crucial moment and nothing happened. The worst was when I was stood at the top of the pyramids in Mexico City and had the PERFECT shot ready and nothing came out. After I smacked it about a bit in my hostel room I managed to get it up and running again but had to settle for a photo of a view from my room, which was annoying.

 Plus when I arrived at Brazil, my last destination, I was up the top of some building over looking the sky scrapers and realised that while the camera thought I had 6 photos left, I really had none. So that was the end of that. However, I was only in Sao Paulo for 5 days so I figured I'm not at a huge loss if I leave that one out, this time. Plus that leaves me neatly with two rows of 5.

 Anyway, I wanted to do something different with the photos to make them look really good, so I went online and looked up a bunch of photos for inspiration:



 This is a rough idea of what I'm aiming for. I went shopping in Hay on Wye yesterday to find a cheap frame from one of their kooky second hand stores. Went into an antique shop and rummaged through frames which were about £30-£50... not what I wanted to spend. Managed to get a faux wood frame for £3 somewhere else, made to look like dark wood and with a gold line on the inside. So I've painted it with Annie Sloane chalk paint and am going to distress it slightly so the dark wood colour comes through a tiny bit, and possibly splatter it lightly with some black paint. Hopefully I can find some dark wood to put underneath it.


 I collected some photos of the projects happening in my house also. This is what happens when you let my mum lose in a playground...

The first thing she's big on now is flower arrangements, as I've touched on before. There's now become this weird mix in my house between bohemian items and fresh florals. Or dead branches...


The felted wall hanging I was on about...


Those dead branches I mentioned earlier?


Twig light fitting... obviously.


Up-cycled jumpers...


The staircase patterns so far...


No comments:

Post a Comment