Tuesday 6 January 2015

Best New Years Resolution EVAH

Every year I come up with the general: lose weight, tone, chuck pants with holes in, buy a new bra without mum's money, learn to make a quiche, continue to be perfect etc etc new years resolutions. But this year I've picked a wonderful one alongside those, obviously, that I think will be super good. No over exaggeration there, although I think if you're my age and normal you're about to be disappointed and just think I'm lame...

Look away non English students - I'm going to read a book a week, for 52 weeks.

My Italian friend Francesca was saying about when her sister spent ages reading lots of English books and her writing and reading improved loads, which is exactly the same when it's your first language. The more I read, the better I'll write and hey! That's handy because guess what my degree is! And guess what I want to do in life! I don't really know what I want actually...

...Woah. Not opening that door.

You may just be going - Aha! What a fool that Poppy girl is. Such high aims for life and such little talent. Well who'll be laughing when this time next year I'm on a six figure salary and married to Rob Sheehan!!

SO HA!

Just completed my first book anyway, (reading it not writing it), by Caitlin Moran - How To Be a Woman. It was good, all be it with what starts out as a quick haha! I'm a feminist and we should all relax about it! Does sort of turn into a bit of a ferocious attack at some points. I'm right in the nitty gritty of learning about her first period and BAM. She says to me: Do you have a vagina? and I think to myself, yes, yes I'm sure about that one. Then she asks: Do you want to be in charge of it? and I wonder to myself who on earth else would be in charge of it. What a ridiculous idea. It's attached to me, it goes where I do. And I have a lock on my door at university and a granny curtain that stops perverts looking in. Silly Moran.

But besides the silliness it really is a funny book. She's taught me that 'foof' is a great name for your downstairs place and tells me about how great bras are and yay! I'm a woman. All that kind of thing. Perhaps it's because it's aimed at her age group, that her cynicism and sarcasm about ageing is lost on me. I find it often more terrifying and bewildering that at some point I may turn into a middle aged woman: either one who wants to burn her knickers at the government's front door, or worse, my mother. Her descriptions about sagging and child birth do nothing but scare the living daylights out of me.

But haha! It was funny. And there's an amusing story about some maracas. Worth it for that.

Goodnight all!!
Goodnight Rob!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment