Thursday 9 April 2015

5 Books Behind...

 To be fair, before you start judging me as a failure, I have read 10 books since the beginning of this year. And I think that's pretty damn good. But I am five behind and trying to zip through them while I'm at home for Easter.

 I bought a brilliant couple of books in London last week, one of which is a fantastic situational comedy about Hitler called Guess Who's Back: he wakes up in 2011 in a field in Berlin and he is pissed off with the world he sees. He keeps being taken for a flawless impersonator who never breaks character and he ends up on a tv show and all sorts. It's very amusing and also quite shocking, to see how easily someone could rise to fame again for the wrong reasons. The problem with extremist comedy is that there's always a bunch of nutters watching and nodding their heads.

 The second book was the Rosie Effect, a guy with some form of aspergus syndrome is told by his wife they're expecting a baby, car crash narrative from then on. He goes to a park at one point to film children to see how they act, the police come along and he uses his aikido to defend himself from them because he doesn't like to be touched, that kind of thing. Very funny.

 Anyway, I know all that's quite dull. I also learnt this week that my brother is having a book published and also has been asked by a prestigious organisation to write a play for them. Very happy and proud for him, but selfishly it did make me ponder on the relative chance of myself having any relative success. I've always been a bit less... focused shall we say, than my brothers. I don't know where I want to go yet. A bit like Beethoven's sister - he did have a real one, and she did music and it didn't go down so well. Because Beethoven was her brother. Mind you she wasn't a raging drug addict so that's something to aspire to at least...

 It's quite hard to sometimes think where your voice is going to cut through the crowds. I was much more productive in my gap, when I needed to find things to do because I wasn't doing any extra stuff outside of work. How I miss that, finishing at 5 and having nothing to think about.

 Must get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment