Sunday 14 April 2013

Do you know, I read something extraordinary today which made me think twice about everything. I was reading this blog post about Jada Pinkett-Smith (that's Will Smith's lady) and the way she spoke about cheating made me re-think my whole attitude to being with someone. She says:


"I've always told Will, 'You can do whatever you want as long as you can look at yourself in the mirror and be OK. Because at the end of the day, Will is his own man. I'm here as his partner, but he is his own man. He has to decide who he wants to be and that's not for me to do for him. Or vice versa."
(If you're interested the full article's on the Cosmopolitan website)


I mean, obviously I'm extremely un-experienced in the way of relationships, and I can't say I've ever dwelled on the thoughts of what I would do if someone cheated on me. Sometimes you imagine being in another person's position if they've been cheated on, but as far as I've ever developed these musings, I believe when someone has cheated on you, or you have cheated on them the situation needs to be questioned. Why did they cheat and can it be redeemed? Or saved, whatever word you want to use. Haven't ever decided it was the deal-breaker to a relationship. I don't think it should be, these things happen extremely easily, especially if they're purely sexual. (That's right, I'm going to use that word
with confidence, we are getting old enough to hear it without cringing now right? Well, almost.)

Jada's attitude flummoxed me. It's a whole different way of looking at a situation and I like it. The tough thing is of course, that if you've chosen a shitface as your boyfriend/girlfriend and you say what Jada thinks - to your partner - then the chances are they'll be very excited to have an open relationship. Not quite what she means. It sounds to me like she's saying if Will needed to satisfy some flingy need or whatever, then that's okay. But not to do it constantly. The truth is, the best thing a woman can do in a relationship is to find a way to let the man be a man. That's what I feel, anyway.

So now if I was with someone, I might feel differently about it. Of course, if you were going to have that attitude you'd have to consider a couple of things:
a) You'd have to tell them that you feel this way about your relationship, otherwise they'd cheat with a different mindset about you, if you see what I mean
b) Whether you'd actually mind if he cheated. You can't tell him to make his own decisions and then cry and scream at him afterwards. Just no.

There's my thoughts for today. Something to think about no?

Check this, it's incredible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrITKatzefg

No comments:

Post a Comment