Monday 8 April 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3M4aPpUr_8

Beautiful version of Amazing Grace sang by Meryl Streep. Thought that would be more poignant because she played Margaret Thatcher in that film about Margaret Thatcher... you know the one.

I find the developments of our history today very interesting, I always do when important things happen. Like the appointment of Obama, I cried like a little girl (partly because I was one). I think it's a wonderful thing to witness history. 

But what I wanted to ponder about today was the reaction of our country to her death. There was a very interesting article about young people under 35 and how they took the news, mainly it brought joy to people. How awful I suppose. I did speak to a couple of people today who were very glad to see her go, but personally I'm not so sure how to feel about it. The article I read said: "THOUSANDS of people under 35 are rejoicing at the demise of a woman they once read about." What a way to put it. Listening to Dad ranting I can appreciate she may not have been the kind of woman you'd want to rule the world, but she may be a woman you'd like to sit next to at a dinner. There are a couple more quotes on the actual page below:
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/people-with-no-idea-who-thatcher-was-ecstatic-that-shes-dead-2013040865066

She was rejected from a job in 1948 after her graduation, with the employer describing her as: "headstrong, obstinate woman and dangerously self-opinionated." I think that seems to sum it up. The Falklands was ridiculous and pointless and her teeth needed some dental work, but she just doesn't seem like an evil woman. To me, she appears to be an ambitious woman challenging the barriers before her, with no empathy for those who did not succeed, nor an understanding of how others did not succeed. All she saw around her for her life was hard grafting and ambition. So naturally, it's easy to see where she came from. 

So I don't hate this woman, nor am I sad at her death - though she's now physically gone, I doubt anyone expected her to start to dominate the world with Dementia. I didn't. 

There we go really. Rest in peace Maggie Thatcher, and all of that.

This is a wonderful idea:

http://donthatedonate.com/

To stop people going mad.


"Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. 
Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where 
there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there 
is despair, may we bring hope."

No comments:

Post a Comment