Saturday 25 May 2013

Adieu and all the rest.

  The end of an era has arrived and I'm sure this post is going to be expected from most of you last year school attenders.

  Yesterday was our last day of school ever. That means no more South Wilts, no more Bishops, no more lessons, no more Salisbury even. Today I saw many people who I am very likely to never see again for the rest of my life. How crazy is that? People I talk to, or don't. People I am friends with possibly.

  What an extraordinary journey we have been on these past two years. At the beginning of year 12 the teachers said to us "These two years will go incredibly quickly" for me, they've been the two longest years of school life. Being in year 12 feels like 7 years ago. There was so much advice I wish I'd listened to last year. Especially the piece they kept repeating: "This isn't GCSE, you actually have to revise" They were right. Took about a year to figure that out though. Well done me.

  But these things are in past. I've had some incredible experiences this year, I've had some terrifying moments of genuine fear and lack of control which I hope to never have to experience again. Standing on the street at midnight with a bunch of guys yelling "Let's go start a fight with someone!" was probably my most frightening moment.

  Sixth Form has not been a time I will remember as being the best time of my life, I haven't enjoyed South Wilts and I chose the wrong subjects. But it's only natural that thinking about leaving creates this feeling like something is pushing itself out of your stomach and into your throat. It's only natural to feel a little melancholy, a little emotional about it. Mostly it's excitement, but it's also the nostalgia element. It's fear as well. Who is going to cut me off? Who will I cut off? When one of my brother's went to university, his best friend just stopped contacting all his old friends.

  There are people I will miss who aren't particularly close to me, and that's a bit hard as well. Things I won't miss include the smell of that fucking fridge, named mugs and flaunted friendship fallouts. (Alliteration there). Time wasting assemblies, daily bulletins, homework, rules about tights. Things I will not miss ever.

  I wonder though, if you've all considered what we're about to encounter? Have you realised that we are leaving home? No more parents or siblings, you are now in a waiting land. You are waiting till you know where your home is, and you are waiting till this passes and we're in the next place. You now have a new home somewhere else. And you will never return to the one you're currently in. We have outgrown our parents, we are now officially people in our own rights. In my opinion, when we leave home will be the true test of our parenting experience. How we act and conduct ourselves away from them, what monsters they have created of us. Probably about 50% of us are about to dramatically change because of this independance. Just little things, like not having to text someone to let them know where you are, or call them to ask if you can go somewhere. Things like that are going to be gone.

  For me, it's not only leaving parents but turning 18 right before I leave, after everyone else. I'll be injected right into being an adult without any breaking in of the process, that's going to be a major change for me.

  I'm excited to find out if I can cook. Pretty sure the first couple of months without my parents is going to result in me eating whole bags of crisps for meals and feeling pretty ill. But hey ho, in 10 years from now I'll have learned how to take care of myself efficiently so it doesn't particularly matter.

  The future is in our hands now, and that is going to be the thing we have to hold onto. I will miss so much of the experience we've made it through, and I feel honoured to have gone through it with so many people I admire and respect. All we can really do is approach tomorrow with our aspirations in our hearts and hope for an extraordinary adulthood.

  See you all at Leavers Ball, folkes.

No comments:

Post a Comment