Monday 31 December 2012

It's been an incredibly eventful past year. Since the first of January 2012 a lot has changed, as expected. We are of course, young people all developing. None of us know who the hell we are, where we're going or how we're going to get there. This year I picked a university off google and said 'that'll do' it's currently in my top two choices... eek.

There's still a long way to go with discipline and self improvement as well. I leave my house every morning thinking 'this outfit was a mistake'. I wake up late everyday, I don't go to the gym enough and I haven't hung out a wash myself for about 4 months, because I can't be bothered. Mum and dad eventually give in and do it for me. For this, mum and dad, I apologise. What I am loving, is that everyday I feel more and more like an adult. In a silly way.

I'm alarmed at the rate and amount I've changed over the course of this year, inevitably people weave in and out of your life when it's time to move on. You try to hold onto some people who you think are worth your time but sometimes that doesn't always work out. You make decisions you regret, instantly or in time. The number of times this year I've clicked send and then suddenly thought 'Oh shit' is a number I'm seriously going to work on decreasing this next year onwards. (YOLO)

But now to the people who have surrounded me for the last year, I thank you all. (This sounds awfully posh). To people who have shaped me as a person, and to people who have been involved in my life in small amounts, simply to brighten my day. Whether it be a letter I receive about your life to a tissue on my desk, every gesture has been appreciated, even if silently. I'm not the kind of person who believes that the good things need to be screamed and shouted about to be enjoyable. (It's only the bad/awkward/funny stuff I bore your lives with screaming about. Again, things to improve next year). The people who listen and take notice of the small things have been incredibly inspiring to me.

To the people who I have had ups and downs with, I always am appreciative of you putting up with my loud and 'expressive' laugh, my mother (who normally comes as a package deal), and my temporary obsessions. Evie especially, has shown to me that though you can lose a friendship, there will always be a time and place where you can find that link again. It's definitely worth it. It's actually pretty fun to have a friend that sometimes you can look at and tell that they really want to punch you. It makes you more aware of what you're doing that's annoying.

To Barney and Ollie, who have cheered me, nearly killed me and taken me to a pitch black forest this year, I don't know whether I love every minute of it but you're doing your best to keep me fun. (I apologise for getting angry in the forest, but it was very dark). It feels like coming home with these boys, as soon as I see Ollie coming towards me with a bottle of wine (which he rarely comes towards me without), I feel instantly lifted. So thank you, I'm sure Tim will be relaying this post back to Ollie.

Those people I have lost this year, how careless of me. Some things aren't meant to be I guess, maybe later in life there will be reconnections. But it's funny how people can mean so much to you and suddenly they're gone.

Bex I love you lots, I've loved getting close to you this year. Your Christmas presents really solidified to me how much you mean to me. It's nice to find people you click with easily. The nice thing with you is, generally when we piss people off we do it honestly and together. It's much better to be what it says on the tin, you're definitely making me more that way which I've always wanted to be like. Many more larfs to be had this next year. MALIA BABY!!!

Georgina I miss you (and love you). I feel a bit like we've moved to the other side of the planet to each other and I don't like this. So please badger me more. (Your Christmas present is amazing by the way, you're going to cry lots like I did at the military video). (Maybe you won't but I'll probably cry).

And all the other people who I wish we had more time to keep up to date. 'Much to tell' is a phrase I hear a lot and never find out what there was to tell.

My new years resolutions? I give them a couple of weeks at most, seeing as my veggie thing didn't work for more than 2 days:

1. I vow not to let myself get behind simply because I'm not sure if the direction I'm headed in is not the correct one.
2. I promise to try my hardest to work at my own self discipline.
3. I promise to try very very hard not to talk about myself as often as I do.
4. I will cook more often and eat when my parents are away.
5. Never again will I wear 7 inch heels. (t.b.c.)
6. I vow to make mistakes that will make me BETTER.
7. I'm going to write down good things and put them in a jar, then this time next year I can read them and feel all nostalgic.
8. DON'T TELL PEOPLE EVERYTHING - very important one. Which can I say, I've been told a secret this holiday and I've told NO ONE so far, which is very impressive for me. So that's going spiffingly.

Recently though, Barney, Ollie and I came up with our new years resolutions which were these:

1. Dont' give a fuck.
2. See the above.

Amen to that.

And what of the next year? Well, keep your head held high, your middle finger higher. New year, clean slate and all that jazz. No more major mistakes. Definitely no regrets. And definitely no more pregnancy rumours (cheers Ollie and Barney...)

I'm going to be the best person I can be this year, admittedly there'll be mistakes and mishaps. 1 step forward 2 steps back and all that, but I'll try. It would be nice if by the end of my life the only annoying thing left about my personality is my laugh. To be honest, I actually can't wait to recap on all the mistakes I make over this year next new year. It's all very well to be good and well-behaved but actually there needs to be room to misbehave and do crazy things at the same time. So bring it 2013. I've got my oven mittens and goggles on ready for whatever is handed to me.

“Young people don't always do what they're told, but if they can pull it off and do something wonderful, sometimes they escape punishment. ” 
 Rick Riordan

2 comments: