Tuesday 27 November 2012

My mum's doing something fantastically exciting with Handel's Messiah. I know that may sound not very interesting to non musical people, (not meant offensively), but basically this is a project she hopes to get published and I seriously think it's going to change choirs all over the country, if not more globally!

Handel's Messiah is a religious piece of music which has been sung in exactly the same way for years and year and years. It's incredibly wobbly and difficult to sing, which has alienated less technical musical singers and musicians. Mum's taken the piece, re-written it to be easier for choirs without ruining the music and is putting it on Saturday.

She's done some lovely things with it, including Mr Dew giving a talk about champagne for the celebratory solo (which is now a talk about champagne). My dad is also singing, there's a Hospice nurse giving a talk about her job for the movement 'Comfort Ye' and lots of other lovely stuff. Including a lovely poem called 'Neighbours' by Benjamin Zephaniah (look it up it's actually very moving I think it'd get to you).

The concert is on Saturday, 7:30 St Francis Church. Tickets are £8 there are few left (she's actually selling the choir's chairs now to house everyone) so mention it to your parents, grandparents, trust me they'll know this piece and I'm sure some of them will be interested.

Here's the promotional video, I'd be hugely grateful for any further publicity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vCSUPhGTjY

No comments:

Post a Comment