Sunday 24 February 2013

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151580997124307

I watched this and it got me thinking about my first career I wanted to pursue when I was little. I remember it very clearly. When you learn something sad when you are a child it really resonates with you. Finding out chocolate was bad for me was traumatic. Need I even mention Santa? But anyway, I was at school and we had some people come in and show us this video about African people who were starving, and there was this moment, I realised how big the world is. How many people were out there, the diversity and how much people were struggling. And that's when I decided. The first job I ever fantasised about was this:

I would take trolleys of food: roast chicken, jackets potatoes, chocolate pudding. Just piled in a trolley I used to imagine them. I pictured myself pushing the trolley through townships into little mud huts and giving the food to the people I'd seen on the video.

Just imagining I would one day do that made me feel like a good person, who was doing something worthwhile. Since that dream faded away, I've never once wanted to be anything that would benefit anyone. Isn't that mad? The most generous I've ever been was when I was a stuck up little girl with my fringe tied in a scrunchie on top of my head.

Makes you think doesn't it? I want to want to help people again. Might have a think about that. Gap year thoughts.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment