Saturday 2 March 2013

When Poppy came home from work today, Fiona and Rob had cleared out the outside studio space, (free from almost all wool), so Poppy can use it to 'hang' - as her mother said - with friends. It looks so sweet in there, and now she's getting all excited to decorate it and stuff. So happy! I hope she puts me in there. Anyway, she went up into the loft with Rob to see if she could find anything inspiring or useful for the room. She didn't. Which is funny, there's a lot of good stuff up there. But in the short time she was up there she got a snapshot at a lot of memories. Which included seeing Queen Victoria's doctor's scales. That's right - her grumpy highness' arse has stood on the scales in my attic.

In the attic she found lots of childhood things that she'd forgotten, much to my delight, which I've written below for you (unfortunately Poppy forgot to take photos literally and now the attic is shut and she's covered in dust so there's no way she's going back up there. Trust me, I've tried persuading her. I'll just have to use vivid description).

1. Mum's knitted fields blanket.

This is a small blanket she made, which had different fields and a road knitted on it, with a river running through it, and sticky outy bits for the sheep. Poppy recognised it because she's made one since then for another baby, but Rob reminded her it was hers originally. So cute!

2. Foxy.

Rob and Poppy used to spend a lot of time mucking around when I was younger and this included a fox puppet imaginatively named: 'Foxy.' I don't exactly remember how they used to play with it now, I assume Rob would put on a mock gruff voice and she'd just laugh because kids laugh at things like that. She used to laugh at stupid positions she'd put me in. Weird girl. But as soon as she saw it she went 'Foxy!' which clearly shows it meant a lot to her. Well done Rob, I'd say you passed fatherhood there.

3. Her abused myscene.

Crudely, this contained a stunning black female which I remember Poppy losing the box for and forgetting her name, so she had re-named her 'Jamaica.' Bit of accidental child racism there. But to be fair, everyone thought that was a really pretty name and we liked her very much.

She re-found the evil guy (who's name I forget) who had the 666 tattooed on the back of his head. There was Noleen dressed to the nines in her lovely striped trousers. A very cute baby barbie which made Poppy feel all broody...

Then there was one that made Poppy laugh. Formerly known as 'Mulan' though you'd never have recognised. She was dressed in some garish modern slutty barbie clothes and half of her face make up (which was clearly made in a separate layer) had peeled off. She looked like a burns victim. But the hair... oh god. She'd cut it practically all off. She looked so traumatised. Poppy was an evil child. No wonder her parents took them all away and hid them.

4. Womble.

This is a bit of a strange one, as a youngen' I never once remember watching the Wombles with my family. It was a Christmas present, with a built in waterbottle. Which I don't think was ever used. She took the waterbottle out and he became Poppy's (only) long term serious boyfriend. In his defence, (or Poppy's seeing as he's just a piece of fluff essentially), he is very comfy.

5. Goldie.

Poppy's favourite ever. A typical teddy bear like no other. Always has been beautiful. A bit battered - it's why everyone loves me. No one remembers where I came from or who had me first but I was always her favourite. She simply couldn't leave me in the attic.

Thanks for reading :)


From Goldie, the editor.

1 comment: