Thursday 1 March 2012

SO had a drama workshop today and actually found it pretty good. We started by having to make the opening scene of Our Country's Good using random props, and it was very insightful. (Check me out using new words). Then we had to do that shit thing where we walk around the room and become a character, which I don't find useful for characterisation at all. I don't think you can just understand the character by saying a few characteristics, you have to get to know them first.

Anyway, then we did some analysing of a fraction of the script, and it was actually interesting how much you could figure out from looking closely at the lines. I'm not normally for analysing, but if it gets you closer to getting the play right, hey ho that's cool.

Then we watched the Berkoff performance they did. I have to say, it was the first Berkoff styled production I'd seen and I was really wondering what I'd make of it. Having seen it now, I'd say that Berkoff isn't a style of theatre that engages me. I was entertained for a while, till it sagged a little, I thought the actors were very good and the use of the space was brilliant.

There were a couple of awesome perks, like when the guy had fake legs that they used to show him climbing around the room. And when he was stood up in front of a white screen holding a blanket and with a cloth hung over the top to make it look like a bed but stood up, clever stuff. But I just didn't enjoy the pace of the actors when they were all doing different routines on the stage. I also didn't lock into the piece like I do with naturalistic pieces.

And to be downright honest, I think the family in the story are shit. The son who works to keep them out of debt because no one else can turns into and insect and they lock it away and take all its stuff and then hardly feed it, and then throw apples at it and kill it. I found myself thinking this is your bloody child. What the hell are you doing.

At the end though, the woman came out and said she needed to go and 'deminge' which I think is possibly the best terminology I've ever heard for 'have a wash'. Apart from the words Jess was making up later in drama rehearsal for boobs. I'm not even going there. I got a couple of very excited texts later that day though about George's chest (we'd all casually been flashing) so it's been a very entertaining day to say the least.


No comments:

Post a Comment